Friday, June 28, 2013

sunflower sprouts & almond milk creamer


How do these two go together? Well, for today's purposes they don't, but since they are both in the photo, I thought why not? However, I bet the sprouts would be a delicious addition to the almond milk! Hmmm...


Anyway, almond milk creamer is so dang easy to make and a great alternative to the store bought coffee creamer minus all the additives. You will see that I add some coconut oil to emulsify it so it doesn't separate in hot coffee, but you can omit the oil if you just want regular almond milk. I decided to go with almond creamer when I learned that soy is amongst the most genetically modified crops competing with corn & cooking oils used in packaged foods. Even the 'organic' soy has been getting a bad rap lately due to the way it mimics estrogen in women. Supposedly, natural plant-based estrogens in soy may be a risk factor for breast cancer in high doses. No thanks.


The other thing about soy that I am not particularly fond of is that it is a "mucus forming food". Google that and you'll get half a million reasons to shy away from these foods...at least on a regular basis. In a nutshell, they induce the body to form excess mucus which lines the intestines and eventually turns into a thick, dehydrated, lining. This can clog the intestines, lead to diverticulitis, and inhibit the body from absorbing the much needed nutrients as the body digests. Excess mucus also traps toxins in the body. The worst offenders are dairy products, breads, meats cooked in oil, and soy 
being the most mucus-forming of the plant kingdom. Don't get your head in a tizzy..you know, the moderation thing. 


Alright, how's that for a tangent? Let's talk about how fantastic sunflower sprouts are! I love them on a salad, or as a garnish on my roasted, berbere-spiced haricot vert. The seeds take a few days to sprout and a few more days to grow up into beautiful, deliciously nutty morsels. Enjoy! 


~almond milk creamer~


1/2 c raw almonds (soaked in a bowl of purified water overnight, then rinse & strain)
1 c water
1 & 1/2  to 2 tsp. coconut oil


Variations: for a little sweet- add a soaked date or two, a tsp. of vanilla, or your favorite sweetener, like my lavender infused honey from Sonoma! 


A vitamix blender works best and I highly recommend investing in one. Especially if you are looking for a new love affair. That being said, use whatever blender you have and blend the ingredients a few minutes. Then simply strain using a nut milk bag and discard the almond pulp, or eat it in yogurt! Nut milk bags are usually sold at your local health food store or online, but you can also use several layers of cheesecloth sold at nearly all markets. However, a nut milk bag is so much easier and can be re-used over and over. Wash your hands first, because you will be squeezing every last drop out of that bag. Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 4 days. makes enough for about 8 cups of coffee.



~sunflower sprouts~


2-4c raw sunflower seeds
2 plastic trays
soil


I buy my seeds at the health food store in the bulk section. They must be raw. I save my plastic trays from the Trader Joes's cucumber & zucchini's, but if you want to make a lot, go by your garden center and grab 2 big plastic trays. I'm not sure what they are called but they are black, plastic, rectangle garden trays. 


For soil, I use whatever garden soil I have. Sprouts are not that picky, but I would stay away from chemically enhanced soils. Simply soak your seeds for 8-12 hours or overnight. Try your best to keep them under water using a strainer or plate. Rinse and drain.


Lay your soil in the tray. The more soil you use - the more water it can hold = the less you need to water. I do at least an inch of soil. Water your soil, then sprinkle the seeds tightly on top, but not overlapping too much. 


Cover the tray with it's twin tray to keep out the light. Keep the soil moist! I also spray them really well a couple times a day with a spray bottle. After 3-4 days they will have sprouted. 


Now move them to an area with sunlight. I use a sunny window, but you can grow them outside. Continue to keep the soil moist and harvest when they are about 4 inches tall. I just cut them with scissors as needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment